Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kansas City, Here I Come!

After the battle of Blue Mills Landing, the 3d was due for a rest, and a chance to re-group. They got it in Kansas City, Missouri.

The Move East
FRIDAY 20
Centreville, Mo.
It is quite cool this morning. I caught a bad cold, as I got wet during the rain. We got breakfast, and remained in camp till 3 o’clock P.M. when we took up a line of march to Plattsburg, Clinton County, Mo., a distance of 20 miles, where we arrived at 11 o’clock P.M. Very tired and weary, we all lay down to sleep.



SATURDAY 21
Smithville, Mo.
We arrived here at Smithville at last night and camped in and around the seminary. We had a hard day’s march, which caused us to enjoy rest in the highest degree.
Smithville is like all other Missouri towns situated among the hills, and desolate. Almost every house is vacated.
We got plenty of apples & peaches to eat, which is very nice.

Lying in Ambush, Waiting for Us

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 1861.
Fort Leavenworth
This (Sabbath) morning we took up a line of march from Smithville to Kansas City, Mo.
Before we started on the march, I took my Bible; retired to a secret place; read a portion of Holy Writ, and then implored the blessings of the God of Heaven upon me to guide me through this Holy Sabbath day, as I would be exposed to temptations on a march more than in camp.
We started at for Kansas City, a distance of 22 miles. We passed over some very nice country, but the marks of war were visible.
We had scarcely traveled over half the road, when a messenger informed us that the enemy, 6000 strong, was lying in ambush, waiting for us, just opposite Kansas City, in the Missouri bottom.
We, being only 400 strong, made the thing look a little scaly [despicable, poor]. So, the officers changed our course and struck across the country to Parkville, a town on the Missouri River, 10 miles above Kansas City, and thus played sharp on secesh.
They, however, got wind of the change and started in pursuit. But we marched the 22 miles in quick time without stopping scarcely a moment for anything, not so much as to eat dinner.
We arrived at Parkville about We were told to get our dinner as quick as possible. We had got into a good way cooking, when we were ordered to get aboard the boat, as quick as possible. We made things scatter; the enemy was within 3 miles of us when we went aboard the boat.
We soon was [sic] on our way to Fort Leavenworth, where we arrived at , but slept on the boat till morning.
I tell you, we made a narrow escape, but got away safe. They would have cut us to pieces. Their number was so great to that of ours.
My health is good.
MONDAY 23
Wyandotte, Kansas
After a few hours rest on board the boat, we went ashore; got breakfast; took a view of the fort, which is as nice a place as I ever saw, fine buildings and certainly a healthy location. The fort is 8 miles above the city of Leavenworth. The buildings and streets around the fort are as nice and clean as a parlor.
Our stay was but short; we took the boat for Wyandotte, Wyandotte Co., Kansas at       
Wyandotte is 35 miles below Fort Leavenworth on the river in Kansas, ½ mile from the Missouri line, 4 miles above Kansas City, which is in Missouri.
We arrived here at sundown. We very much expected an attack coming down the river, but were not molested. It is expected that a battle will be fought close to here in a few days, although our force is small and the enemy is very strong and close upon us.
This is the darkest time, or rather the most gloomy time, I have seen during the war. Our forces are so much scattered and the enemy have their forces concentrated in large numbers, and appear to be gaining the day. The darkest hour is just before day.

TUESDAY 24
Wyandotte, Kansas
We were quartered last night in a warehouse; it was something new to get to sleep in a house. When we are on a march, we wrapped up in our blankets and lay upon the ground.
I spent today in washing, & writing letters. We have been on so many forced marches that we could not get time to do anything. I hope we will get time to rest here, but rest with us is about over, for the war has begun & must be shoved through as fast as possible.                 
WCN

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 1861.

We still remain in Wyandotte & it is certainly a favor to us to rest so long.
The people of Kansas City are very much alarmed, as an attack is hourly expected.
Kansas City is 4 miles below this place, one in Kansas & the other in Missouri, separated by the Kansas River.
A number of Indians & half-breeds live here; some have fine houses, farms & orchards.
     The weather is cool for the time of the year. A bad cold.

Kansas City
THURSDAY 26
Kansas City
I have a very bad cough, which makes me restless at night. I have had a bad cough ever since I was sick.
The rebels came into Kansas City today with a flag of truce to change prisoners; how they made it I do not know. The rebels are marching on Kansas City; 800 came down on the road this morning from Kansas. They are coming in from Kansas ­City only.

FRIDAY 27
Kansas City
It is reported this morning that the enemy camped last night, 10 miles from Kansas City, 10,000 strong. However, I do not believe such reports, unless I know them to be true.
I took a walk into the county, but found it so hilly that I did not proceed very far. I put my hat up against a big tree; stepped back 300 paces & fired my piece several times, but did not succeed in hitting it, as each ball fell a short distance below.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 1861.

Last night was the first frost of the season; it was quite cold.
I went into the county this morning to get some apples & found the ground covered with them; such fruit does not grow in Iowa. But in Missouri there are thousands of bushels, and I think quite delicious.
At 4 o’clock P.M. a message from General [Samuel] Sturgis to Col. Scott to march his command to Kansas City immediately, as the scouts were fired upon, and a battle expected immediately. 
We buckled on our implements of warfare and blankets & we were soon on our march with the other forces quartered here for the city of Kansas, a distance of 3 miles, around the bend of the river.
On our arrival we found that it had been a false alarm & that it was not likely that the enemy would attack the place.
 There are here some 4,000 men with 5 cannons, one of which is a thirty-six pounder, which is in the fort & has command of the surrounding county for 3 miles.
It was quite dark by the time we got into the city & after lying, sitting & standing in the street for two hours, we were marched to private houses where we took up our abode for the coming night, after the manner of a soldier’s life.                                                                               WCNewlon
SUNDAY 29
Kansas City, Mo.
This morning I find myself in a new place, which is nothing unusual under the present circumstances. Our quarters are in a remote part of the town, and, as it rained last night, & is still raining, it has a tendency to make things look rather gloomy.
We were so hurried off last night that we had no support. This morning found us without provisions or even anything to cook with, everything being left at Wyandotte, Kansas. 
Two Ohio regiments are here, the 27th & 39th. They, learning of our situation, gave us notice that they would furnish & cook our breakfast for us. Kind offer, which we gladly accepted. It was our first acquaintance with them. We found them a sociable, fine looking & intelligent set of men, as all Ohians [sic] are, notwithstanding, I am from that state [Marion County, Ohio].
We, not satisfied with our present quarters, Corporal Mosier procured others in the back part of town, which is a pleasant place.
The Methodist Quarterly meeting commenced yesterday in Wyandotte & I had made strong calculations to attend while it lasted. But, alas, my hopes are blasted; now I cannot have the privilege of attending a meeting, which I so much desire. It appears that every forward movement is made on the Holy Sabbath, not giving us an opportunity to attend divine service, had we a chance to.
This is a business place; it covers a large area of ground. The town extends 1 ½ mile from the river. It is a point where government contractors outfit large numbers of teams for Santa Fe & Salt Lake City & other places.

Frémont’s Proclamation
MONDAY 30
Kansas City
I took a walk into the main part of town; found it was 1 ½ mile from Quarters.
At 12 o’clock, Mr. Jim Lane [Gen. James Henry Lane], with his command, arrived in town. He has 3,000 men, with [Gen. James] Montgomery and Dr. [Charles Rainsford] Jennison, three of the most distinguished Gurnville Warriors [perhaps referring to Maj. Gen. Grenville M. Dodge, 1831-1916] in the West; their names bring terror into the hearts of the enemy. They are a fine looking set of men & will tell a tale of bravery wherever they may go.
They have had no general engagements, but succeeded in capturing a great amount of baggage from [Gen.] Price while he was bombarding Lexington. There was such amount of baggage & munitions of war that he could not get teams sufficient to haul them, so he burned them with the town of Osceola [approximately 85 miles southeast of Kansas City].
At another place they burned the town; took some prisoners, whom they found in arms against the government &, according to Frémont’s Proclamation [Men bearing arms without authority were to be court-martialed and] must be shot.
So they dug their graves; led them out, each prisoner standing by the side of his grave where they were shot, some falling in their graves & some by the side. It was a heartrending scene. They begged hard for their lives & promised to chop wood, carry water, or do anything for the soldiers that could be done as long as the war lasted.
They were asked if they had read Frémont’s Proclamation. They answered in the affirmative. Not withstanding their pitiful entreaties to have their lives spared, Montgomery told them that they must suffer the extreme penalty of the law, which is death.
So the poor wretched traitors, with doleful groans, were immediately sent into the presence of their God to be judged of the deeds done in the body.
Health good.                                    W.C.N.

A Nice Little Brick Building

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 1861.
Kansas City
Our mess moved their quarters across the street. We now have a nice little brick building with a good stove & things convenient. We are also away from the noise of the company. Lane’s brigade is camped in front of our house.
The town is full of soldiers; everything presents a military appearance.
My health is good except a very bad cold. W.C. Newlon.

WEDNESDAY 2
Kansas City, Mo
Last evening I went into Jim Lane’s camp to see some friends from Appanoose County, Iowa, [approximately 60 miles southeast of Des Moines], who were acquainted with Uncle Lears, who now lives in Cincinnati, Iowa, Appanoose County. Stayed a little too long; came near not getting past the guards.
I am the cook today, a fine, cool day. Everything is quiet & calm in camp & quarters. Good Night.

THURSDAY 3
Kansas City, Mo.
A man came from camp today with a change of clothes, bringing good & bad news. Those reported missing in the Battle of Blue Mills Landing, of our company, are found; McClaughy wounded in leg. Our friend & fellow soldier, Y. Nicholas who was in camp, died on 26th, Sept., 61.
A soldier shot today while gathering provisions.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 1861.
Kansas City
A part of Montgomery’s men came to camp last night, bringing 15-yoked oxen & 5 wagons loaded with provisions, which they took from the enemy.

Jim Lane had one of his men drummed out today for getting drunk.
It is a damp, rainy day. My lungs & throat trouble a good deal at night; I have suffered more or less for two months.
SATURDAY 5
Kansas City, Mo.
I was quite unwell last night, slept but little. I spent last of the day in writing letters.
This afternoon a magazine exploded in Lane’s camp, perhaps 400 yards from my quarters. I was standing in the door at the time. It made a loud report & shook the ground for quite a distance around, no damage except to mules. W.C.N.

SUNDAY 6
Kansas City, Mo.
[George H.] Blakeley & [Ephraim] Warner from Winterset & half a dozen others of their kind have been on a spree for 3 or 4 days. So they concluded to have a general tear up to finish on, and if they didn’t, I am no judge. They knocked the windows out; threw the stove downstairs; mashed the door; knocked the plaster off. In fact, they tore the house literally to pieces. Threw all their cooking utensils out the window.
We were sleeping in our own quiet room across the street. I was sure, at several times; the house would be torn down. About our men were ordered over to help tie the drunken rowdies, but nothing could be done with them after they had done all they could do. They finally became quiet. This is the first rowdyism we have had in our company & I hope it will be the last.
Lane had preaching in his camp today. As I was cook, I could not go. I could hear the voice of the speaker from our door. We have not the privilege of attending divine service we once had. But thank God we are not deprived of secret prayer & humble devotion.
Oh God, may peace be restored to our distracted country soon that we may go into the house of prayer & praise to worship to our God according to Thy word.
Often have found peace in the Holy Word while on a march. May I read Thy word through life & may it do me good as it doeth the upright in heart is my prayer.
Health not good. W.C.N.
   

The Ague, Oh! The Ague
MONDAY, OCTOBER 7, 1861
Kansas City
I am very unwell this morning. I walked downtown this afternoon; I chilled pretty severely all afternoon. Oh! How hard it is to be sick from home. There is no time I think so much of home as when sick; I enjoy myself fine when well.
TUESDAY 8
Kansas City
Oh! How bad I feel this morning. I was quite sick all night; my breast and lungs are sore with coughing. I chilled all afternoon, & this evening. What a fever, I can scarcely write. The ague is the most disagreeable disease I ever had. Horrible ague, leave me.
WEDNESDAY 9
Kansas City
Another day has come & passed & I am not better. The ague, O! The ague, I have got it or it has got me, sure and certain. I have a chill everyday, & then, there is a fever. The weather is cold and rainy.
Troops are still coming into Kansas City. It is rumored that we are going to camp.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10, 1861
Kansas City
I feel some better this morning after a night spent with much suffering. I broke the chill this evening by taking equal parts of white oak & cherry bark with a quart of water boiled to a pint. Then, stir in the whites of 3 eggs, one tablespoonful of salt, two of salt soap, two of black pepper. Made into a poultice and put upon the wrist 3 hours before the chill comes on; remain till the time for chill.

FRIDAY 11
Kansas City
I felt some better this morning than I have for a week. I slept but little last night; coughed a great deal in the after part of the night; ate a pretty hearty breakfast; went to the hospital; got some cough medicine.
I accidentally found Wilt Jenkins, also Edd Jenkins, from Winterset. Wilt is captain of a cavalry company, Edd a private.
Health better.
SATURDAY 12
Kansas City, Mo.
My health is improving; I got some medicines for my cough from one of the surgeons, belonging to the Ohio 39th. I hope they will do me some good.
Gen.Lane’s command left here today. I wrote one letter to sister Phebe today.
     The weather is fine; nights cool with heavy frost. Two weeks today since we came to Kansas City.        W.C. Newlon

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13, 1861.
Kansas City
I rested pretty well last night, nor did I cough so much as usual.
After breakfast I fixed myself up as decent as possible & went to Church. Listened to a discourse by a Presbyterian minister, founded on the 14th Verse, 17th Chapter of Revelations. [“These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and Kings of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.”]
The discourse was well gotten up & delivered with eloquence.

Quincy
MONDAY 14
Kansas City
We are under marching orders at this morning, but our officers refuse to go until we get our baggage & tents, which are at the R.R.
I am the cook today.
After dinner I went & had my picture taken. I shall send it home to Mother & Father; I know it will please them well.
My health is improving.
TUESDAY 15
Quarters, 3rd Iowa, Kansas
The appearance of the sky this morning indicates a fall of weather.
The troops are leaving town for the south fast. The Ohio 39th & some Missouri troops left today; they are all following
Gen. Lane
, I presume, to form a junction with Frémont, who is in pursuit of Price, who is making his way to Arkansas.

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 16, 1861.
Kansas City
The weather is wet & rainy. We were ordered to make ready to march to the boat for St. Joseph and Hannibal, thence to Quincy, Ill.
At , we were in line for march, when the order was countermanded. In a few moments, we received an order to march again. We went to the boat, but found it loaded with soldiers of Jennison’s regiment.
We returned to await the next boat.

THURSDAY 17
Kansas City, 3rd Iowa
I slept but little last night. I went to bed, got up at , got my Testament, read a few chapters. Finally, went to bed; worried the remainder of the night.
The weather yet rained heavy all forenoon. I went downtown this afternoon; got some apples & cider. The streets were very muddy & consequently my walk was anything but pleasant.
Health moderate.
FRIDAY 18
St. Joseph, Mo., 3rd Iowa
We left Kansas City at I took three contraband Negroes with me; proceeded up the Missouri River to Iatan [approximately 25 miles south of St. Joseph.], where we took cars for St. Joseph. Arrived at St. Joseph,
I was very unwell; did not sleep but little during the night.
Majors was the name of the boat that carried us up the river; all were in fine glee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...