Sunday, May 22, 2011

Letters of a Nation

          I've downloaded over a half-dozen samples of Andrew Jackson biographies on my Kindle over the past couple of weeks. From that group I made my selections and I'm now half way through reading my second biography of Andrew Jackson.

        While we're in the throes of commemorating the firing on Ft. Sumter and the events following it, I wanted to go back 50 years or so and refresh my recollection of the years 1800 to 1850. What were many of the salient events and key decisions that led us to the great conflict.  I'll be posting my favorite biography on my website: http://www.greensblueandgray.com/ shortly.

         And so, my recent flurry of interest in the Jacksonian era also prompted me to pull my copy of Letters of a Nation (Andrew Carroll, ed, Broadway Books, New York, 1997)  from my book shelf and to turn to pp 92-93. Here we read a letter written by President Jackson to his Secretary of War Lewis Cass. On these pages we learn of the 7th president's early forebodings of a possible civil war. I hope you enjoy reading this letter.

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...