Tuesday, April 5, 2011

On the March

Mark your calendar for this April 12. This is the 150th anniversary of Fort Sumter.

Here is the Table of Contents for the first journal's transcription, The Missouri Narrative:


Contents                                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                       
Chap 1         The Two Civil War Journals                                 1
                        Journal Book Two - Project & Mission
                        Journal Book One - Request & Discovery

                        Transcribing & Editing

Chap 2         The Journal Writer - A Young Union Soldier                  10
                    An Account of Will’s Passing
                        Letter to a Friend

Chap 3         Enlistment and Drill - Journal Book One                          14

                        To Winterset

                        I Bade Adieu
                        We Drilled All Day
                        The Sabbath
                        Pay and Equipment
Chap 4         On the March                                                                  33
                    Took a Boat to Hannibal
                        Rail Cars for Utica
                        The Captain Drew a Revolver
                        March to Palmyra
            Guarding the Depot
            Grand River Bridge
            Arrested by Adjutant Sessions
            I Am Very Weak Yet
            Aboard the Cars
Chap 5         Battle of Liberty                                                   65
                    Close to the Enemy
                        Bullets as Thick as Hail
                        A Visit to the Battlefield 
Chap 6         The Move East                                                      70
                    Lying in Ambush, Waiting for Us
                        Kansas City
                        Frémont’s Proclamation
                        A Nice Little Brick Building
                        The Ague, Oh! The Ague
                        Quincy
                        Pay Day
Chap 7         Benton Barracks                                                    93
                    Sham Battle
                        Same Old Routine
                        A Zouave Drill
Chap 8         South to Tennessee - Journal Book Two                          102
                    Events in Review
                        The Forts
                        Uncle Sam’s Mule
                        Heading South
                        Postscript
* * * * *

Chap 4     On the March

Took a Boat to Hannibal
SATURDAY 29
Camp Kirk[wood]
This morning at we ate breakfast, struck our tents. At we marched to the wharf; took boat to Hannibal, Mo.
It rained all day, all getting very wet. Arrived at Hannibal at , all in good spirits. Camping in the warehouses, being a very nice place.    Health good
63
SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 1861.
Hannibal
I feel quite refreshed this morning after sleeping between two wet blankets. This morning I visited the guardhouse & saw my first rebel prisoner.
At I attended a meeting at the Southern Methodist; did not endorse the tone of the discourse.            

Hannibal

I am sorry to say that I did not spend this day as I should have done, being in a new place. I walked out to view the town. As I passed up the street, every kind, gentle citizen invited us in to have some cherries, which we found to be quite a treat, indeed.
And also visited the Lovers’ Leap, a place where two lovers once jumped and were killed from this point. We had a splendid view of the town. I think this will make an important place provided the accursed institution of slavery was abolished.

Rail Cars for Utica

MONDAY, JULY 1
Hannibal, Mo
This morning we took our baggage; went aboard the rail cars for Utica, Mo. Three engines were procured to take the 3rd Regiment.
We hailed everything on the way; Patriots rejoiced & Traitors trembled. Traveling a distance of 130 miles, passing pleasant villages, we arrived at the place appointed. Health poor.
TUESDAY 2
Utica, Mo
Not eating anything except a few crackers since yesterday morning & sleeping in a rail car all night. I do not feel so well as you might suppose. We pitched our tents close to the depot; placed a strong guard around our encampment. This afternoon we took four traitors & expect soon to avenge the blow of our Kansas Brethren.
I feel some better than I did this morning.
64
WEDNESDAY, JULY 3, 1861
Utica
This morning I was put on guard to stand guard for 24 hours, 75 men on guard at a time. Nothing of importance transpired during the day. Quite an excitement tonight about spies, things look rather suspicious here, for we are in the midst of the enemy, & among low-life traitors.
Health good.
THURSDAY 4
Camp Herron
This morning at a number of pickets fired at spies from the enemy. Alarm was given through the camp in a moment & in three minutes the regiment was in line of battle. We expected an attack before morning & it was surprising to see how promptly the men to their places in rank without the least confusion.
I never felt as much responsibility resting upon me at any time as I did last night. It was the first time I ever occupied any important station in the army, & was stationed at the guard gate, as guard. The Officer of the Day gave me instructions to speak to no man & not to allow any man to come within six paces & if he did not halt when challenged, to shoot him. However, none but friends advanced. One of the pickets came very near getting shot by morning on the guard.
We are now in the enemy’s country, in the very heart of secessionism, and it is from this point that ruffians went to Kansas & committed such outrages. It is my intention to have revenge.
Our camp is situated a half mile from Utica, Livingston County, Missouri. We have but 800 men in this camp, yet it would take a force of superior number to take it, although the guards occupy dangerous positions close to and partly in the brush. This is the 4th of July.  Three of our companies have gone to Chillicothe to celebrate the 4th.
FRIDAY 5
Camp Herron
Nothing worthy of note transpired today. Colonel [Nelson G.] Williams arrived & took command of our regiment. He is a man rather below the medium size, but of fine personal appearance & I have no doubt but that he will make a good colonel, however time will determine.
 My health good.
65

The Captain Drew a Revolver

SATURDAY, JULY 6, 1861
Camp Herron
Captain Ogg gave me a pass to go into the country this morning, but did not get to go. So, I went into the village. I saw nothing here, for Utica is a small, significant [sic] Missouri town noted for rowdyism.
While in town, Captain Sladen[?] of Co. E, 3rd Reg., drew a revolver on Corporal Payne of Co. G. He withdrew it, and with cause, he drew it a second time. And, from respect of my friend Payne, he no sooner grasped his revolver than my hand; at the same moment, grasped mine with an iron grasped, & had he not released his hold, he certainly would have been a dead man in an instant. It certainly was the first time I ever had the desire to take life. Yet it was the most trying thing I ever saw in my life. To see a man, because he is an officer, to assume however without authority, impose upon one, who is a man and a gentleman, just because he is a man of finer compliments and more polish in manner than himself.
Such was the case upon the present occasion. Corporal Payne is a man of refinement and a gentleman in every respect. And being upon a fishing excursion with some ladies of the country, they appeared to pay more attention to Mr. Payne than to the Captain, and consequently, called forth the outrageous act, which made my blood boil with indignation. May that man never cross my path. I empathically say let a man live & die honorably to himself & others.
W.C. Newlon

March to Palmyra
SUNDAY 7
Camp Herron, Mo.
I was woefully disappointed this morning as I intended to go to church. After falling into ranks with our guns for the purpose of going to church (It being the first time I ever had to carry my gun when attending divine service in my life.) the Colonel informed us that we would not go as there was not the churches sufficient to hold the religion of the regiment. 
And as is natural to suppose, we returned somewhat disheartened at our misfortune.
I spent today mostly in writing; I wrote two sheets to sister Mary. I love to get good letters from my friends, & therefore I endeavor to go by the Golden Rule in that respect, if in no other.
We received President Lincoln’s first message [3 June 1861] in which he calls for 400,000 more men to enforce the law, & put down rebellions.[1]

MONDAY 8
Camp Herron
Last night an alarm was given. The Regiment was formed in a line of battle after parading a short time. We were marched to our quarters where we went back to bed and slept till morning undisturbed.
I was put on guard duty today. In the fore part of the night it rained very hard. We, lying on the ground without any shelter, got very wet. The guards have to stand 24 hours without any shelter, good or bad weather.
WC Newlon
66
TUESDAY, JULY 9, 1861
Camp Herron
I stood guard for 24 hours yesterday & last night. This morning I feel very unwell more so than usual. No one appreciates health until they are taken sick.
A prisoner was brought into the camp last night for killing his stepfather-in-law; there appeared to be an old difficulty between them. He killed him by shooting with a shot gun.
WEDNESDAY 10
Camp Herron
Nothing of importance transpired today. My health is still impaired; I think it is nothing more than the result of a Missouri climate. Our situation appears to be a healthy one. But this part of Missouri is an unhealthy country. When unwell, I often think of home. I ask God to preserve their health & lives until we meet again. May God grant it.
THURSDAY 11
Grand River Bridge
Quite a change in our condition this morning to what it was yesterday. Yesterday everything was quiet in camp & no one thought of trouble. Yet ere the sun had set, our camp presented a war-like appearance. Orders were received for the greater part of the Regiment to march to Palmyra [approximately seven miles northwest of Hannibal] as the troops there had been attacked by the rebels, in a few moments, all the companies except Companies D & G.
We’re on the cars & on the march for the field of battle. At , the Company G was marched in double quick time to take possession of the bridge across Grand River, 8 miles from our camp.
In a very short time, our company arrived at the bridge. Strong guards were stationed around the bridge.  I was appointed chief of a picket guard; I took my post a short distance from the river in the timber. I had two men under my charge. My orders were not to close an eye, but to keep a constant watch.
I found it very difficult to keep from sleeping. I thought the morning would never come, but, at last, the sun arose & the morning stars dispersed in all their glory.
I returned with my squad to the camp. I need not say camp, for the men were without tents to cover them from the heavy dews & quite a number of them without blankets, as they were brought from Camp Herron on short notice. I had not time to get them. Some were sleeping on planks; others on the open ground in all manner of positions.
We have nothing to eat today, except some Baker’s Bread, which we ate with water or milk, which some were able to purchase of the citizens. For the first time in my life, I sat down and ate a piece of bread & warm milk for my breakfast.
Although losing a great deal of sleep & very little to eat, the Boys kept in good spirits, not complaining any.
67
FRIDAY, JULY 12, 1861
Camp McCoy
I feel quite refreshed after a sound sleep in the new camp. I am off duty today, but expect to have a march tonight. Information was just received that part of our Regiment had a fight near Monroe City [approximately twenty miles west of Hannibal] in which Adjutant Sessions was wounded & a few killed. However our Boys proved victorious - their number being 500, the enemy having 1500 - three to one.
This is a fine day. My health is improved.

SATURDAY 13
Camp McCoy
I had another night of standing guard on the railroad. However, no enemy came & consequently I had occasion to challenge no one.
This is very warm weather, not so warm as at Keokuk. We are all in good spirits, & but few sick in camp.
We have intelligence that Captain Slacking [?] is within 24 miles of our camp, with 300 men, to attack us, & burn the bridge. Let them come.

SUNDAY 14
Camp McCoy
Last night I stood picket guard some distance from the camp. We anticipated an attack ere morning.
Near signs indicated spies around. Shortly, one approached toward me. At the proper distance, I challenged him. When he immediately started to run, I leveled my piece, fired after him, as he ran. Whether I hit him or not, I do not know. One thing, he has not troubled us since.
Five shots were fired during the night by the pickets, one of them shooting a house, though a mistake.
68
MONDAY, JULY 15, 1861
Camp McCoy
I volunteered as a picket & scout last night. We expect an attack by the rebels. I maintained my post with a watchful eye, fighting the musketoes [sic] without mercy.
Morning dawned without an attack. Thus, for three nights I have been on picket guards without sleep.
     The camp is quiet today. I begin to think the rebels dare not attack us; they had better not. Health fine.


[1] “Upon the firing on Sumter President Lincoln issued his first call for troops and soon after a proclamation convening Congress in extra session. The call was for 75,000 volunteers for ninety days’ service. If the shot fired at Fort Sumter  ‘was heard around the world,’ the call of the President for 75,000 men was heard throughout the Northern States. There was not a state in the North of a million of inhabitants that would not have furnished the entire number faster than arms could have been supplied to them, if it had been necessary.” Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant, E.B. Long, Ed., Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press, 2001, p. 116.




No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...