Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Benton Barracks




SUNDAY 10

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

I slept on herrican _ich[?] last night, slept but little.

We passed a number of boats along the shore tied up for repair.

At nine A.M. we reached the city, landing and immediately marching to the barracks.

I have found my old friends, Tom Whitehill, John Toner. Health good.


MONDAY 11



Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

I spent the greater part of this day in cleaning up my department, airing my clothes, &c.

I chose an upper berth, a fine place to sleep. I have not had what might be called a bed before for 5 months, anything more than one of nature’s foundations.

Good news from the Great Fleet, landing troops in South Carolina. Hurrah for the American Army



TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 1861.


Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks, St Louis


I procured a pass and wound my way into the city by railway.

St. Louis is quite a city. The streets are remarkably narrow.

I had two pictures taken today with my great coat on. I intend sending one to W. S. Moreland, and one home.

My health good. W.C. Newlon

Gen. McKinsly, Provost Marshall, is under arrest.


WEDNESDAY 13


Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks, Mo


I had such a fine sleep last night and the consequence is I felt good this morning.

I am on post duty today, 1st Sentry on Eastern Division. O! How dusty and disagreeable it is. Orders strict, no one pass the line without a pass from Headquarters.

Frémont’s Bodyguards came into the Barracks today.

Drum is beating.


THURSDAY 14


Camp of Instructions, St Louis

Being excused from duty today, I spent the time in writing and reading. I wrote W. S. Moreland; sent my picture. Also [wrote] to James L. McClaughy at Quincy.

Two companies of Frémont’s Bodyguard came into the Barracks. I had the pleasure of seeing my old riding steed, John’s horse, belonging to an officer here.

Health good.



Sham Battle


FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 1861.

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks, Mo

Oh! What a fine sleep I had last night. I went out on drill two hours this morning.

At two o’clock P.M. we marched on the drill grounds to fight a sham battle. Several regiments of infantry and cavalry were engaged, firing with blank cartridges. After making several grand charges, one of our men, belonging to Co. A, 3rd Iowa, was shot through the head by a comrade. Whether accidentally or intentionally is not yet known. The top of his head was blown off.

Some suppose that, owing to the excitement, that a ramrod was fired, which took effect. Others, that he was shot by a musket ball. Two of the cavalry were seriously wounded.


Same Old Routine

SATURDAY 16

Camp of Instructions, B.B., St Lo[uis]

The same old routine this morning, first thing fold blankets; dust my clothes, and prepare for breakfast.

About 12 o’clock, the 7th Reg., Iowa Infantry marched into the Barracks. They are a fine set of Boys, but were horribly cut up at the Battle of Belmont [Mississippi County, Missouri, 7 November 1861].

I found an old friend among them, John Pruin.


SUNDAY 17

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

This morning I was detailed for post duty. It is a nice, pleasant day, but I do not like to do duty on Sabbath. Yet the soldier is not exempt from duty on Sabbath.

Troops are coming in here by [the] thousands. Already five regiments of Iowa troops are here, and twice that number coming.

My health is very good.


MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 1861.

Camp of Instructions, St Louis, Mo.

I was on duty last night and slept but little and consequently I feel rather dull.

Nothing of interest transpired today. A number of troops arrived today from Iowa and Wisconsin. The Iowa regiment here marched in front of the Iowa 7th and cheered them for their gallantry at Blue [Mills].


TUESDAY 19

Camp of Instructions, Benton, St Louis

Nothing of importance transpired in a place so remote from the battlefield as this place.

Drill appears to be the main thing, and indeed, it is highly important under the present circumstances. For, it is my belief that we will be soon engaged at Columbus, Ky in terrible battle [Kentucky passed an ordinance of secession from the Union on 18 November].

WEDNESDAY 20

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

The same routine this forenoon. This afternoon, as usual, we went on Battalion Drill, during which time a heavy rain came up.

One or two gave a yell, as a signal. When the whole column gave a shout, and in an instant, all broke for quarters on double quick, leaving the Major on [the field].


THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 1861.

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks, Mo

The Iowa 11th Infantry came in last night through the rain. Among them I found a cousin, Y [?] Winder, the only known relative in the service. I was much pleased to see him. We spent many hours in reporting circumstances, which transpired while we were separated. Old times became new.

Health good W.C. Newlon

FRIDAY 22

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks, Mo

It rained last night and the consequence is that everything is muddy; every little rain makes it muddy here, for the ground is so muddy. The ground is gr[ated?]; we had no drill today on account of bad weather. The weather is very warm here for this time of year, no freezing yet here.

SATURDAY 23

Benton Barracks

I rose quite early this morning. And O, how cold it has got; the ground is hard froze.

No drill today, as it is Saturday. This day is spent in cleaning the quarters and clothing, preparatory to a general inspection, which takes place on Sunday at 9 A.M.

This P.M. the Boys are dancing.


SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 1861.

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

Oh! How windy and cold it is this morning. At 10 A.M. the troops here (16,000) appeared on the parade grounds for grand review, which lasted till 1 P.M. The scene was quite grand. The lion-like voice of Gen. Curtis was distinctly heard throughout the column.

A number of generals and field officers were present.

Nov. 24th ‘61

This day presented a grand military appearance, field officers riding in all directions, commanding their different divisions.

The accurate movements of the troops had a tendency to animate the spectator in the highest degree. No person is permitted to pass our lines.

Health moderate WCNewlon Co. G, 3rd Iowa

MONDAY 25

Benton Barracks

It still continues to be cool, not exactly cool, but cold and freezing. I am not exactly at home sitting by Old Nathan’s fire [Will’s father], but in the great Army of the West, spending my time in writing letters and reading newspapers at U. Sam’s expense. $13 per month all sounds good for me.

TUESDAY 26

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

I feel very unwell, owing to a very bad cold, which I unaccountably got someplace, after standing around the corners like a mule with the dyspepsia [indigestion, ill-humor].

All forenoon, while in the mode of stupor, a rumor came like a puff of wind from a fan mill that the Smallpox was in camp. So, I scampered to the surgeon and was vaccinated (Bully for me).


WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 1861.

Benton Barracks

Having a bad cold and not feeling very well generally, I was excused from duty, so I spent the time in writing letters and visiting friends.

Mr. McCracken came in to see us, but I, being absent from quarters, did not get to see him. Well, so much for that.

I wrote to Sister Mary, &c, &c, &c. W.C.N.

THURSDAY 28

Benton Barracks

Well, I am all right this morning. The weather is fine and pleasant, cool and agreeable.

The usual drill took place in the forenoon. In the afternoon we had a Five Battalion Drill conducted by Major Stone, a good and persevering Drill Master.

Health pretty good.

FRIDAY 29

Camp of Instructions, Benton

Old things have not passed away yet, and all things become new, for we have to drill every day.

This evening the Ill. 52nd and Iowa 9th came into quarters.

I have caught cold by some means, which has settled in my neck and throat. Perhaps I will be all right in the morning.


SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 1861.

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

Sleep was not known to me last night, owing to pain in neck and throat. I was compelled to lie in bed during the day. I fear a gathering will take place on the inside of my throat.

The Iowa 12th & 14th Regiments came in today. Bully for Iowa.

W.C.Newlon
A Zouave Drill

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 1

Camp of Instructions, Benton Barracks

I feel very much relieved as Mc got me some medicine, which had good effect.

One of the grandest reviews, which I ever have seen, took place today at 11 A.M. I presume there was [sic] 15,000 on the review. But the glories of the day were covered with gloom.

Dec 1st

In the evening, as the drums were beating for Dress Parade, the companies were forming in front of their respective quarters. Company K, who are just on our right, were forming. Two of their Boys stepped a few paces in front of the company and were practicing a Zouave Drill when one accidentally fired his gun, killing the other immediately. The ball took effect in his head, tearing the entire top of his head off. I was standing six paces distance and saw the whole affair. His brains lay upon the ground where he fell. He lived some 6 minutes. I would rather see 20 men fall in a battle than one under such circumstances.                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                        W.N. Newlon

MONDAY 2

Benton Barracks

My health is very good this morning.

The snow is 9 inches deep.

Nothing of importance to note.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 1861.

Benton Barracks

A. Mc is going to leave me this morning. I hasten to send a few letters, articles, which I have by me. I intended sending some presents, but have no chance to get them.

My health is good.

This diary, don’t let anyone see, for there are a great many mistakes in it. WCN
There are no journal entries from 4 December through 31 December 1861. Will continues writing on 8 February 1862 in Journal Book Two.

The next chapter describes the Third's boat trip to the South.



No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...