Thursday, April 14, 2011

It's April 2011 and my head is reeling!

The title says it all. So much Civil War commemoration going on this month, and during the whole year, I suspect. The LA Times has articles about the Civil War. My "Smithsonian" magazine is starting a series on it this month with "THE CIVIL WAR BEGINS" blazing on the cover. I hear of re-enactments going on and planned across the country. Could it get any better for us Civil War buffs?


Today marks another anniversary; the assassination of Lincoln. I had lunch with a friend, a high school buddy,  last week in Pasadena. Pete's GGrandfather served in the Alabama cavalry. So naturally our conversation comes around to the War. Pete and I visited Shiloh about five years ago. He had read the book, The Conspirators, last year. You see its movie trailers on TV now. I definitely plan on reading the book - after I finish the colossal George Washington on my Kindle - and seeing this film. (An aside, if you will. Is that a rug on Redfords head or is that the real deal? Whatever it is, it's a weird color.)







So on to the next installment of Will Newlon's CW experience.



Guarding the Depot

TUESDAY 16
Utica Depot
I, with 9 others, was sent from the camp last night to guard the depot at Utica. It seems as though I always find myself stationed at the most dangerous point.
Today we took a prisoner at the depot; sent him to Chillicothe to await his trial.
Quite a number of the citizens came to the depot today. Whether they were true to the cause, I cannot tell. We unite then, if they are not.
WEDNESDAY 17
Utica Depot
Today I went out into the country. I talked freely with an old gentleman about his son, who was a lieu[tenant] in the southern army, & is, at this time, our prisoner of war.
Three companies of Home Guards came in today. They were not much the appearance of men when compared with the Iowa Boys – a very ignorant, uneducated, ungodly, profane set of men - which cannot be said of the Iowa Boys.
The ladies of Missouri are a fine looking set of beauties, much superior to the men of the state.
69
THURSDAY, JULY 18, 1861.
Camp Herron
This morning we were relieved from the depot. We immediately repaired to the camp where I have spent the day in cooking, as it was my turn. Well, I did my very best, as you might suppose. But after all, I got 2 quarts too much salt in the beef, & the rice, O dear me. I had a pan full on the fire, and swelled & run all over the fire – what a mess [or time] I had. I don’t see why I won’t make a good cook, for my mother is a good one.

FRIDAY 19
Camp McCoy
I feel very much refreshed after a fine sleep & pleasant dreaming. Few are the nights that I have the privilege of sleeping quietly, although we sleep upon our [fire]arms every night.
This afternoon a supposed spie [sic] was seen. Myself, in company of 12, went out on a scout in that direction. After quite a tramp through heavy timber, among thick bush & weeds, beneath a boiling sun, we surprised a fisherman. We took him prisoner. After a good many queries we released him, he returning home. W.C. Newlon
SATURDAY 20
Camp McCoy
As usual, I was placed on picket guard last night. The night was a beautiful one; the moon shone in all her glory. The stars twinkled & shone as bright as though they had just been brought forth. They seemed to be sending their silent note of melody upon our once happy land. 
As my station was on the bank of the river, the silver-colored fish darted almost with the quickness of time, to & fro in the clear, blue water, occasionally darting above the water, making quite a noise, arousing me, who, sometime by the stillness of the night, would fall into deep meditation. The morning songsters broke the stillness of the night. Soon in the distant cast, the darkness of the night was lost by the appearance of a brighter day. Soon the bright rays of a morning sun disbanded the noble meditation of the night.
When I repaired to my tent I wrapped myself in my blanket; laid down upon the earthen floor to close my weary eyes. After an hour or two of sweet sleep, my companions awoke me to breakfast.
I found all that had passed were but the scenes of night & meditation, and that the land where I now am, which was once so happy and quiet, is now aroused by military processions, the air resounding with roaring cannon. How long, oh Lord, will the land be troubled? How long will this people roll rebellion under their tongues as a sweet morsel?
This forenoon I did some washing; the first I ever did in my life. I did a good job, if it is not; it will not be for the want of rubbing, for I rubbed some pieces full of holes.
The camp is very quiet today. The Boys are passing the time in various ways, as though there was not an enemy in a thousand miles of them.
The sky has some appearance of rain.
     My health is moderate. May such be my lot during this war.                                           WCNewlon

70
SUNDAY, JULY 21, 1861.
This morning has very much the appearance of rain. I had the good luck to get a pass this morning from the Captain, and went to Chillicothe on the railroad. At the proper time I went to church at the M.E. Church. The text was in Acts about Philip & the Eunuch [Acts -40]. The sermon was mild and practical. The assemblage was small and attentive.
After the exercises were over, I, with Finley[?] Anderson (from Summerset, Warren Co., Iowa), took a walk into the country. In a short time we came to a fine two-storey brick building, surrounded by a nice farm. We concluded to get a drink. We soon found that our presence was not agreeable by them not answering to our interrogating, and therefore concluded to proceed.
After traveling a short distance, we found ourselves sitting in a neatly furnished farmhouse belonging to Judge Pace, whose hospitality was unlimited toward us. We were kindly invited to dine with him, which was very much appreciated by me, as it was the first time since my soldier life that I had the honor of sitting at the table with ladies. How much I enjoyed that dinner. I thought of home when I was partaking of the luxuries of a farming table.
While there, quite a number of men came in. After talking with them two or three hours, I returned to town where I learned that the place where I was & the men that were there were the strongest secessionists. They all [people in town] expressed their wonder that I ever escaped with my life from such traitors.
But after all my adventures, found me at Camp McCoy.
WCNewlon

MONDAY 22
Utica Depot
I, with 5 others, was detailed to guard the depot at Utica Station.
This forenoon I, [and] friend Bryant, took a walk into the country; took dinner with a friendly farmer, after which we wound our way to a blackberry patch.
Had a good time; soon returned to depot. My health is very good.
TUESDAY 23
Utica Depot
After standing guard half the night and sleeping this morning till , I feel somewhat refreshed.
Bryant & I took a walk to the blackberry patch. Had another fine dinner with some ladies, quite a pleasant time. Had a guard sent after me; got back without meeting the guard, all right once more.
71
WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 1861
Camp
This morning I returned to camp where I found things as usual. I feel very much at home while at the camp.
The Colonel came from Headquarters this evening. Gave orders to box up all unnecessary clothing & send them to Headquarters; keep only such as we could keep in knapsacks. I sent mine home.                      Yours, W.C.Newlon

THURSDAY 25
Camp McCoy
I had such a fine sleep last night; it is not very often in the last three weeks I get to sleep much.
We were to receive our entire army equipment today, but they did not come.
I am cook today. I got up a mess of green beans for dinner, which is quite a rarity for a soldier. I am learning very fast to cook; I think it not so [sic] pleasant as some work.

FRIDAY 26
Camp McCoy
I was on guard last night and was nearly eat up by the musketoes [sic]. I slept none during the night, today the same routine in camp.
Quite a number of ladies visited our camp selling all kinds of edibles to the soldiers.
The weather is very pleasant. I wrote a letter to Sister Mary. I have nothing new to write. I expect my friends will think this a poor diary, indeed.
72
SATURDAY, JULY 27, 1861.
Camp McCoy
I had such a pleasant sleep last night; I awoke this morning while in a pleasant dream.
Before I arose, a letter was handed to me from Sister Mary. It did me much good to hear from home. I wrote one to B.F. Roberts today.
The weather is very warm and sultry. My health is very good and in good spirits.
SUNDAY 28
Camp McCoy, Mo.
Hail sweet Sabbath morn, sweet day of rest. Thou art welcome to a Christian soldier, although oft times he is not permitted to enjoy its glorious blessings. I look around me & see those who appear to know not when the Sabbath cometh. Then I feel thankful for religious parents who taught me to observe & keep the Sabbath day.
I was on picket guard last night; the night was pleasant. The moon rose at the hour of . How bright that moon shone on me as I sat in bushes, upon my blanket, watching the approach of the anticipated enemy. See page 136. 
I had for my night companion Samuel Pruin from Harrison County, Ohio. He worked on the Cincinnati & Claridon R.R. [railroad], between Iberia & Mount Gilead [20 miles east of Marion, Ohio], for two years.   
At last night a scout of 40 went from our camp to Utica; searched storehouses, private dwellings, capturing rifles, shotguns & pistols and ammunition. All was done without much resistance. These being taken from the rebels all over the state will put a stop to lawless depredation in the state.
O, how I long to go to church today, but, alas, I cannot get a pass as I was out last Sabbath to church.
My messmates are sitting around me writing letters to their friends at home. We are sitting by the side of my tent, using a temporary table for a writing desk. A few clever bushes adorn us to check the burning rays of a summer sun.
Lieutenant Merrill has been received into our number as one of our messmates. He is a fine man, a member of the Baptist Church at Palmyra, Warren County.
The camp is very quiet today; all seem to say this is the Lord’s Day. But, how long it will thus be is unknown? God knoweth all things & none but He.                     
W.C. Newlon
MONDAY 29
Camp McCoy
The weather is remarkably warm. I tried my hand at fishing this morning, but did not exceed very well. I don’t think I would make a good fisherman; I think I am a better soldier.
Oh, how troublesome these gnats are; they will eat me up. I took my blanket; went to the grove, but they tormented me so; I could not rest.
I trust there will be a change in the weather shortly.
73
TUESDAY, JULY 30, 1861.
Camp McCoy
Oh, how warm the weather is; it makes the sweat roll almost in torrents. Not a cloud appeared to hide the burning rays of a Missouri summer sun.
Our camp is almost surrounded with timber; consequently little or no air is permitted to pass down our patriotic streets.
My health is remarkably good considering the way I have been exposed to the night air.                
W.C.Newlon


Thanks for reading my latest Blog. Do go to greensblueandgray.com and check it out. I'm thinking about adding a store, a modest one, to this site. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...