Monday, March 28, 2011

Pay and Equipment, End of Chap 3

We now finish up Chap 3. We'll be getting into some action pretty soon here. I just want to set the stage by working my way thru the journals.

Pay and Equipment
59
TUESDAY, JUNE 18, 1861
Keokuk
I feel quite unwell today, yet I drilled with the company. I ate no supper, thinking, perhaps, it would be better to abstain from eating for 2 or 3 meals. This is the first time I have felt unwell since I left home – (sweet home).
WEDNESDAY 19
Keokuk City
Captain Ogg returned from Indianola & drilled us this forenoon.
I ate no breakfast this morning & now I feel a good deal better. I find it very inconvenient to be sick from home. And, I think, by good care of myself, I can preserve my health.
THURSDAY 20
Keokuk City
This has been a very remarkable warm day. Notwithstanding this, we drilled as usual. I am perfectly willing to drill in warm weather, so I can stand the hot climate of the South, as we expect to be there soon.
I just remembered that this is my birthday. Oh, how quick the moments fly & how quick the years roll on. See page 129.
Keokuk June 20
Continued from page 59
This day I have reached the period of 24 years. It seems but a few months since I was but 15 years old. And, the years have passed so quick since I was 21 that I almost doubt whether it is so. Yet, it is undoubtedly the truth.
Many instances in my past life I have seen pleasure. Yet, far more numerous are the instances in my past life have I seen sorrow & trouble.
Would to God that I had to live my life over again knowing what I do know now. But, if I had to live it the same as I have done, I prefer letting it pass.
I should be more thankful to Divine Providence for that kind care which He has so long exercised over me, and, in return, for all His kindness. I have spent so many years in wickedness, yet, for the last 2 ½ years, I have tried to live the life of a Christian. And, oh, what poor success I have made. I, this day, ask the aid of Divine Providence that whether my future days may be many or few, that they may be spent in the service of God. This is the desire of my heart.
W.C. Newlon

60
FRIDAY, JUNE 21, 1861
Keokuk City
I stood guard last night, & today I am on guard 2 hours & off 4 hours at a time.
Last night a disturbance arose between our company & company H. However, by the combined efforts of the city and military officers, the dispute was settled by forcing both companies to Quarters.
SATURDAY JUNE 22, 1861
How remarkable dry and warm the weather continues.
Today the tents, guns & part of the uniform for the 3rd Reg. arrived. As soon as we are unified, I think we will be sent to Washington City, D.C. Yet, it is all supposition.
May the difficulty be brought to a speedy settlement that my future destiny may be determined.
May I not be hasty & prepare to meet death at any time or place.
Keokuk City
SUNDAY 23
     I hail the glorious Sabbath morn, & it seems to me that I appreciate it more since in the service.
     I attended Sabbath school at the United Presbyterian Church – quite interesting.
     At I attended church at the same place. A well-delivered discourse by the Rev. Brown, long may I remember it.
     At 2 I went to Sabbath school, M.E. Church. May I be profited by these teachings.
61
MONDAY, JUNE 24, 1861
Keokuk
     I have been very unwell today, not eating anything.
     The Boys received their pay from the state for the time they were in the state service. The money was received like water to a thirsty man.
     This evening my health is improving. I find that health is a great blessing when far from home. W.C.N.
TUESDAY 25
Keokuk
Today we received our guns. They are not the kind we expected, yet they’re new-improved muskets. Our regiment presents a different appearance. I feel a good deal more like a soldier.
My health is very much improved. I hope my friends enjoy the same blessing.  W.C. Newlon


WEDNESDAY 26
Keokuk
Today we received our camp equipment & part of our uniform. At , we went into camp to strike the tents; Camp Kirkwood was the name adopted, in honor of the Governor.
At , we returned to town, all breaking ranks & running without orders through a very drenching rain.
62
THURSDAY, JUNE 27, 1861

This morning we took our baggage and went into camp. I feel happy to get out of town, thinking that I will have better health.
We are divided into squads of 3 in number. I feel thankful that I here have religious companions to mess with. We hold prayer in camp taking it by turns in making blessings of God.
FRIDAY 28
Camp [Kirkwood]
Colonel Curtis arrived today; drilled us a short time, also giving orders for us to march in the morning to north Missouri. Cheering news, since it is my desire to go to the field of action.
I got my first letter from home today. How glad I am to hear from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS

A long article, but an interesting point of view. WHY THE "SMART" PARTY NEVER LEARNS   If your views by definition are enlightened...